Having hit David Bowie pretty hard since his death this year and this corresponding to another reading of Jean-Jacques Rousseau’s Emile or On Education. These are the things Rousseau & Bowie have taught me about facilitating children’s education. I try to have them as my compass but sometimes it’s hard in the current climate.
1. Try not to interfere negatively with or suppress children’s natural tendencies & aptitudes.
2. Try only to teach something when the child is ready to learn it.
3. Try not to make rote-learning the dominant mode of education for a child.
4. Try to let children primarily learn in context and through experience and ‘projects’.
5. Do not treat a child’s attempted acquisition of moral knowledge differently from their acquisition of other types of knowledge. Hold both in high regard.